Thursday, September 17, 2009

Bible Study For the Socially Awkward

I was trying to do some research this morning, which is difficult considering both of my children are home with me today, and both are totally fine, which drives me crazy. Lil has a cold, but is bouncing off the walls and isn't the slightest bit lethargic. (Is it a sin wishing for a bit of lethargy?) Hannah is home early from school complaining of a sore neck, and apparently has a fever of 99.1, which, if you are a parent, you know is the tiniest of temps and if you actually called the pediatrician, you'd get laughed off the phone. And yes, I'm a hypochondriac and I know what 'stiff, sore neck' in children can mean, but when she's whining about not being able to eat Cheetos or walk to our neighborhood coffee shop, I'm calling bullshit.

So the research I'm trying to do is on Bible study groups, and I'm having zero luck. I checked my parish website, but they have a generic message with no actual calendar dates, and I checked the Presbyterian Church nearby and their calendar is from 2008. Which means I'd actually have to call, and seriously people, don't you know how much I despise using the phone? This is what the Internet is for! So insular, anxious, phobic, socially awkward people like me don't have to talk on the phone.

Why does an insular, anxious, phobic, socially awkward person like myself want to actually join a Bible study group? When there will probably be other people present? Why not just open the Bible and read it myself?

Because if I count on myself to do it, Bible-reading will fall into the same category as waxing my legs, organizing my closet, scrubbing the grout in the shower, or planning that yard sale. It'll be on that to-do list that pretty much is forgotten about. Sorry, God. I'm just trying to be honest here.

("Ah...why read Corinthians tonight? Ghost Hunters is on!"

"Revelations...Sookie Stackhouse. Revelations....Sookie Stackhouse."

"I could read Genesis...or I could watch my pretend Phillies boyfriend Carlos Ruiz from 7-10pm!")

I am easily distracted, which means I require homework. I require outside expectations. It is necessary for someone to tell me to read which sections and why, and what we'll discuss.

And then I'll do it.

But I was thinking, "'What if everyone annoys me?"

And then I thought, "What if I annoy everyone else?" After the meeting lets out, they'll all go to Denny's for coffee and discuss the weird, quiet chick who is clearly just looking for an excuse to get out of her damn house.

So you might be thinking, "Kel, why do you need to look outside the domestic bliss you are blessed to find yourself in order to keep in touch with God? Just look at the beautiful children you have. Surely proof of God's goodness. Let them serve as reminders."

And I'd be like, Yeah, sometimes they do remind me of God's goodness, but that's usually when they're asleep. Because, man, kids can be pure evil during the day, and they still manage to look all kinds of angelic when they're sprawled out in bed, their hair disheveled and their breathing calm and rhythmic.

So, during waking hours, I need an alternative.

Can I get an 'Amen?'

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the churches post their bulletins online, the Bible Study groups, or something like them, might be listed in there. That's where the one that serves the 4 Catholic parishes in our town is found.

You are absolutely right, though, about needing the push. I can't get through more than a page of the Bible on my own, and even if I did, I'd figure I needed someone to explain it to me anyway. (Although I HAVE read the Children's Bible. Credit for that?)

As far as the annoying part? I hear that, too. My one actual, real-life friend invited me to join her Bunco group. So I'm going to a stranger's house to hang with ten women I don't know at all. This has happened twice (next month, I'm host!) and I'm already telling myself that these people will never be my pals. I don't even know them, but... I dunno. At least we're not talking about anything deep at Bunco.

(The new template is much more lively & I always love anything with rays of sun.)

Anonymous said...

Meant also to say that if you don't find anything, maybe it's something you'd want to do here with the readers: assign a book and discuss once a week?

Pamela said...

I don't know what Bunco is, but it makes me think of an oldish white guy with shiny teeth selling kitchen appliances. They are very clean kitchen appliances, and since cleanliness is next to Godliness, maybe that's the connection? Otherwise, I'm totally confused.

Is there a MOPS group near you? Those are always filled with other socially-awkward-phobic-nutjobs like myself, and our only reason for having the group is to get out of the house under the guise of seeking God.

It's cool. He totally gets it.

Anonymous said...

Bunco is a dice game that requires no skill or strategy. But there are prizes and food!

MOPS is really nice. But technically, do you have a pre-schooler still? I forget.

mayberry said...

de, I have a youth Bible. It is really quite helpful, once you get past the dopey "teen-friendly" (ha--no way) anecdotes.

well read hostess said...

My step mother has been attending a very intense bible study group at Swarthmore Presbyterian Church for a few years. The participants are of a variety of denominations, and it is very intellectually oriented.

Anonymous said...

Go Kel! Keep dancin Patrick and Chris!!!
-LTGW